Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Backing for Treasure Trove

I bought this for the backing of Treasure Trove.


This is Treasure Trove:

I know why I chose it, but do you? Can you figure it out? Tell me in the comments.

Bragging rights go to the folks who can figure out WHY I selected it.

Update: 9:20 PM
You guys are GOOD! Yes, I chose the fabric because the fish mimic the shape of the horizontal diamonds on the quilt itself; the colors are similar in both quilt and backing, and oddly enough, the black and white of the background in the flimsy connects to the other fish. Yes, the backing fabric reminds me of the front of the quilt. Regular readers know I prefer large prints on the back of my quilts. Tiny prints and blenders are simply too boring and small for a large area. As soon as I saw the fabric I knew it was perfect for this quilt.

The fabric is part of the Natural World collection by Philip Jacobs for Free Spirit, and I bought it here.

22 comments:

Dee W said...

Colors are good and the diamonds look like fish to me too!

gayle said...

Yeah, a school of fish on the front and another on the back...

Silverthimble said...

That backing could not be more perfect for that top! The colour is perfect and the diamonds make fish shapes!

Silverthimble said...

Also, the diamonds are gems in a Treasure Chest at the bottom of the ocean, hence the fish!

Nancy J said...

Diamond Fish breed, in the game, and have "Attitude". Perfect backing.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Because the selvedge dots were the same! LOL. The fish mimic the shapes of the triangles perfectly!

Frog Quilter said...

It matches the craziness on the front. I mean this in the best way, love it!

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

WHere did you buy that fabric? Love it

Briarose said...

colour and directionality...love it perfect choice!

Rebecca said...

looks like you started with the backing and created the top to go with it!

Pat said...

I love this backing! Yes, color, fish mimic the shape of the diamonds, and those spotted fish look like a lot of your background fabric. Love it!!

Just Ducky said...

The colors along with the shape of the fish.

Alice said...

Front and back are floating.

Sandi said...

Just plain gorgeous!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I thought the name eluded to your scrap bins being a treasure trove ;-)

Mary Ellen said...

Color, directionality, fish that mimic the shape of the diamonds in tne quilt top. Excellent!

Shepherdess55 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shepherdess55 said...

All my guesses have been mentioned above. So for whatever reason you chose it, you chose well.

Karen said...

I'd say it's because they have the same pattern. The fish swimming across look very similar to the diamonds moving across the top.

suzanprincess said...

Another name for your quilt could be School of Jewels!

Tammy Hutchinson said...

I see I've slept too late! I'd guess, as others have, that you chose the backing fabric to go along with the floating jewel fish on the front. The front is perfect camouflage for the school on the back and vice versa.

sawsan said...

Both r tresure, your blocks seems like school of fish too
you can use both sides to show.