Saturday, September 17, 2016

Got It!

I really wasn't happy with any of the layouts in yesterday's post. Then when Sandi told me she thought one layout made her think of legs in high heeled shoes, well that did it. I knew I'd never be able to look at that design and think of anything ELSE, so that was surely out.

I liked the central part of this where the four Y shapes came together, but I didn't like the rest of it. So I thought, what if I flipped those outer blocks around?

That created a lovely shape - the two large white HST's slid off center, and the four big red triangles created a big square that connected the other components.

So this is it. I really like it. Now I have to figure out how big it has to be, make the rest of the blocks, trim them all down to size, arrange the blocks so the values are evenly distributed and assemble the flimsy.

You know, that's all. Just a couple of little things.

(snicker)

17 comments:

Nancy J said...

I like your final layout, perfect.

ES said...

Yes, this on has continuity, movement, interest, pleasing angles. I like following your process, it can be much more interesting than just pretty photos of finished quilts.

Quiltdivajulie said...

This one works for so many reasons . . . Gonna be gorgeous!!!

Pat said...

I love this layout. It just "has it all". Aren't design walls just the greatest?

NeverBored said...

Love it! I like this layout the best of everything you tried. Just another example of "keep playing" until something sings to you.

Rebecca said...

Yep...that works!
Gives movement and form without being ridged or spinning away!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you continued playing with layouts. I love the one you ended up with.

Sandi said...

Sorry that my comment put you off that other layout. This is a winning one, love the secondary patterns it creates.

I'm glad you kept playing and came up with this one.

DKM said...

Red, high heel shoes? Must be time to see Kinky Boots again.

abelian said...

I didn't like any of yesterday's designs, but love this one. Makes me think of peppermnt starlight candies.

Dot

Millie said...

Dot, I think you've just named this quilt! Peppermint Candy! Thank you.

Lynne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That was fun, seeing all the possibilities until the best one came together! I really like your final layout with the pinwheel shapes in the corners. Although I've been following your blog for awhile, this might be the first time I've commented. I love how you put fabrics and colors together without using someone else's pattern!

The Selvage Fairy said...

Another example of the value of not settling. Way different from the inspiration, but really great. The mathy in me just loves the secondary patterns that pop out.

Susan A said...

Just love the final version!!

The Devil Dog said...

Oh yes, that is MUCH better. I wasn't thrilled with the other versions either, but this one sings.

Roxy's Mom

Summer said...

I am in love with the red and white ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Ann said...

Red and White. Always exciting. Congratulations.