Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Baby Snaps

The Snaps blocks go so quick it's easy to get halfway through without stopping to take pictures.

The longest thing was cutting out the pieces.

I wanted the lights to be colorful and fun. There are houses and cats, and animal prints, and confetti and scribbles.

I wanted the blues to be soft and the yellows to be warm, and I wanted some of the contrasting blocks to be bright and fun.

Here are a few of the blocks all sewn together.

Yes, that's a dragon's head in the center blue block on the left, and yes, that's a fussy cut bug on the right.

It's funny, when I sent my son photos of the blocks up on the wall, he texted back, "It doesn't really sing for me. Sorry."

I texted back, telling him the photos were taken at night when the studio's light isn't very good. He replied that it wasn't as bright as he expected, and that probably that was it.

 But I'm not worried. I know that photos never capture my quilts as well as they look in real life, and to get the whole quilt, I have to get so far away that you miss all the little details. I also know that my dear son is the one who told me he didn't like half the fabrics I selected for his Sunshine quilt, yet when it was finished, he adored it, and sleeps under it every night with his dear wife.

Sunshine indeed. I think this quilt may need to be called something that connects sun and the beach. Oh Julie... and others, any suggestions?

7 comments:

Megan said...

I immediately brought to mind the story about how he wasn't too sure about your choice of fabrics for the Sunshine quilt! But hey - this first baby quilt doesn't have to suit everyone. If you love it, then you can gift it to your grandchild. If his father would prefer something somewhat brighter, then isn't that just an excuse to make another one? Indeed, why not invite the baby's mother and other grandparents to express preferences and shower this bub with a range of options. LOL

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Quiltdivajulie said...

What is the name of the parents-to-be favorite beach hangout? That could become a name or lead to a name fir the quilt ... Love the mix of fabric prints and textures you included.

Unknown said...

How about 'California Dreamin'....?
Their favorite beach hangout is Topaz Beach.

Just Ducky said...

Sand 'n Surf?

Unknown said...

Are you using 2 1/2 inch strips and a 2 1/2 inch block for center on these? I want to start one with my scraps. Mburnette912@bellsouth.net

Millie said...

Mary the strips are 3-1/2" x 6-1/2". Otherwise the block would be a square. It is a rectangle. The center squares are 2-1/2".

Cherie in St Louis said...

Sunny Topaz???