Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Snaps

After the Petals quilt and the Diamond Jubilee, I wanted to make another stashbusting quilt. Looking at my stash, I could see WAY TOO MANY creams. So I knew the next quilt would have creams. Creams with what? I decided to use pinks and oranges.

During one of our marathon telephone conversations, my best pal Julie decided she'd like to play along with pinks, oranges and creams too. You can read about her journey here.


I pulled some fabrics and then set out looking through my books for an easy quilt to make.


I found "Snaps" from this book.

I rejiggered the block sizes so they'd be a lot easier for me to cut, and we all know I wouldn't be working in solids.

After figuring out my sizes and the number of blocks I'd need, I started cutting. It's amazing to think this fabric will make a quilt 54" x 72". It didn't make much of a dent in the stash.


The blocks are very easy. One block has five pieces, the other is just one.


So I made a few blocks and threw them up on the design wall*** and promptly decided they were boring as all get out.

Time to go to bed. I'd worry about what to do later.




*** PS, Nancy J, I haven't forgotten you. My design wall is 65" x 83" (165cm x 210cm), and it isn't bigger because that's the only place in my studio where I had a flat wall. My design wall is covered in a couple of big pieces of Homosote, or pressboard. It's often used as a bulletin board. It's 1/2" thick (1.25cm) and it's painted white. Mine is screwed into the wall. I own the house, what the hell. On top of that is white flannel, stapled tightly over the pressboard. The nice thing about this is that not only do things stick to the flannel, but I can hold something up with push pins if I need to, and once quilts get big, you need help getting big pieces to "stay". You can read more about it here.

7 comments:

Megan said...

'Twill be interesting to see how you change this up.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Quiltdivajulie said...

Pretty but boring (as you already said).

And you are SO right about a project not really making much of a dent in the stash!

Marei said...

I find it very interesting that these fabu fabrics have produced the blocks on your wall. Like the others I look forward to seeing what you do with this. I find your 'fixes', and the process behind them, to be very illuminating. I often read what you're thinking, what you've decided, and what you've changed and say, "OF COURSE! Why did I think of that?" So until next time....I'm on pins and needles.

Marei said...

BTW....I know what I would do to change this and I'm wondering if you do the same thing. Ooo....this is just like a mystery show!

Mystic Quilter said...

I was looking through this book only yesterday following the post from Julie and this pattern would be ideal for showcasing my lovely Kaffe Collective fabrics - I have a huge number or reds and yellows - don't know how I collected so many yellow pieces!

Nancy J said...

Fab pattern, and the design wall, thanks for the details. Mine is able to have pins put in to hold the large yards of fabric and I guess a quilt if I get to that stage. The best thing with mine, I can slide one board behind the other, and the disadvantage, if I need the double width, have to slide them into another room,.But they are so lightweight, that's easy.

Valerie Levy said...

Oh...a design wall...
That would be dreamy....