Monday, November 17, 2014

Design Wall Done!

The design wall is done. Finally.
I had forgotten the new wall is wider than the old one, and I got it 3/4 stapled to the wall before I realized it. I decided not to take it down and sew an extra piece down one side.  To do that I'd have to not only take it all down, but find a big (clean) flat spot on the floor to lay it all out and cut and trim, etc., etc.

I decided I could live with it, especially as the seam didn't run smack dab down the middle. I also had an electrical outlet to work around.

It's done, and it's fine. It's also slightly more complicated than it looks.

Underneath it all, stapled to the wall is a 1/2" of homosote. It's pressed cardboard, and works as a bulletin board, so this design wall has the advantage of having push pins stuck into it too. This is great when you want to get something big to stay up.

On top of that is that plastic tablecloth material that has flannel on the back. (Some years ago I bought a 25 yard roll of the stuff. I can't quite remember why.) Anyway, that's stapled up there on top of the homosote. The nice thing about it is that it is white, and you can't see through it.  On top of that I stapled the white flannel of the design wall. Because two flannel surfaces are touching, they stick to each other, making my design wall very smooth and flat. And because I've got that extra layer of white back there, you can't see through the thin flannel.

Boy, am I glad THAT's done!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Give yourself a pat on the back. This wasn't a fun task, but it's behind you now. The design wall sounds as though it's going to work wonderfully well.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Pat said...

Good job! I'm sure that was not a fun job and I don't blame you a bit for not pulling it down to add the extra width. I wouldn't have, either.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You will enjoy using this - a LOT!

Glad the put-togethe part is behind you now.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a great idea using the flannel backed tablecloth material - I use a huge piece of that under our large table cloth, now you have me thinking for when I move my design wall over!