Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Blue Deco Done!

I added the binding to the Blue Deco quilt. As you can see I use pins, and I use a lot of them. I prefer them over the binding clips. I can simply sew over the pins, which makes it a lot easier than the clips.

So here's the "official" photo of Blue Deco. Looks good, but I've long been an admirer of Julie's "beauty shots" of her quilts, so I have been trying my hand at it.

This sculpture of a moose is in a recreation area of the community I live in.

He's on a little peninsula that's surrounded by a pond. I like the reflection of the quilt in the water, and the shape of this metal crane in the foreground.

At the other end of the pond is this little bridge.  You all know I'm not a fan of "cute" but this works.

I also took a picture of "Lightning in the Night Sky" from the other side. This angle had the added advantage of a purple Rhododendron in bloom in the background.

Of course, a fence shot is always good too.

Julie's rationale is that a quilt is more interesting to look at when it's slightly crumpled, so you can see the quilting. It's taken me six years to realize she's right.

Of course, living in an area where there are lots of interesting places to show off a quilt doesn't hurt, either.




12 comments:

Jennifer said...

looks great! I especially love the shot of the quilt on the moose. you've inspired me to make one of my quilts into a tablecloth. it would be a perfect way to use it and show it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yes! Lovely photos and so much fun to see the quilts out and about! (That moose is likely to become your version of my white rocking chair ... He's awesome.)

Quiltdivajulie said...

P.s. Love that new photo of Lightning in the Night Sky ....

Megan said...

Fabulous beauty shots. I like the one where it's draped over the bridge and Lightning in the Night Sky with the rhododendron in the background looks fabulous.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Pat said...

The quilt looks great. I love the quilting on this one; so simple; so perfect. Official photos are always good to have but I think your "beauty shots" are good to have, too. I particularly like the one with the moose and the lightning quilt on the bridge. At first glance, I thought that heron was the real deal, lol.

Anonymous said...

ALL your photos are fabulous, but I especially like the Blue Deco where the reflection is showing in the water, my personal favorite!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I've long admired your willingness to change your opinion about quilting quilts and now about photographing quilts as well. I'm sure Julie's calm, persuasive voice is the reason, but truly it's wonderful to see :)

Sharon said...

Wow, you nailed it on the beauty shots! They are all great, but my fave is the one with the moose and the crane.

Blue Deco is a beauty, no matter which photo is in! And I love Lightening with the rhodie behind it too. Beautiful!

Purple Boots and Pigtails said...

You girls are setting the bar SO high.... it's getting harder to keep up with all the fun! Love these photos, and the quilts!

stitchinpenny said...

Love the beauty shots and the area in which you took the photos.

Saku said...

The quilt is beautiful. I like the shot with the moose and crane best, because of the reflection in the water.

Sheila said...

Blue Deco is wonderful!