Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Yvonne asks a Question

Yvonne asked a question when I was talking to her last week and it really got me thinking.  She was talking about the Four Seasons panels and she asked "Do you draw them out first?"
It caught me totally off guard. I hadn't drawn the Spring panel, and I didn't like it. I had done a drawing of the Winter panel and it had come out well. 
I was working on the Autumn panel,
 and I had drawn that one too. 


I really had to think about it. Why do I draw sometimes, but not all the time?


Now it sounds silly, but you've all heard the quote by Yogi Berra, "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up someplace else," and it's a lot like that.  
I don't always know where I'm going when I get started, but once I do get going, I get a pretty good idea of where I want to go.  The details will change, but that's ok. I don't need to have a complete idea to get started. Sometimes I don't have ANY idea at all, but getting going gives me a point at which to start - it helps me figure out what I like and what I don't.

I draw because it's a way to get an idea out of my head and down on paper so I can remember what I want to do.
It's also a way for me to work out an idea when I can't sew.

And this give you all a peek into what the Summer panel will look like!



4 comments:

Clare said...

Drawing is a good idea. I tend to get a design in my head and keep it there. If I try to get it down on paper it doesn't look the same. Odd that.

Really looking forward to summer - love the porch.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent post!

I sketch because I'm afraid I'll forget the thought if I let it stay in my head . . . I can't "draw" for beans, but my scribbles reduce the stress factor and, like you said, capture the idea for later when we CAN sew.

The Selvage Fairy said...

Erasing a tree on paper and moving it somewhere else is definetly earier than ripping out a seam. Especially with a bias edge.

eva said...

it's like ..."finding waldo"....
only better!!!
xo
eva