This past summer I agreed to do a swap with chickenfoot. She asked for "an aqua quilt for the bath." I knew I wanted to incorporate some wonky free pieced letters. It took me less than five minutes to figure out what I wanted to do.
I chose blue fabrics that had water-type elements. Fabrics that looked like bubbles or raindrops or seemed swirly. At the very last minute, I saw the fabric with the ducks.
Once all my fabric arrived, I started the letters. The white fabric was really a watery pale blue, but once I put it next to one of the ducks I knew I was toast.It just didn't look right.
Then I thought, maybe I should have a duck peeking out of the opening in the letter B. That looked really fun, so I decided to go completely overboard and just go for broke.
These looked much better.
Once the top was finished, I made the quilt sandwich and thought, how am I going to quilt this, since I don't have much machine quilting experience. But the idea of the water saved me. I quilted this in one continuous line, starting at the bottom and working my way up. No drafting lines for me, just completely wiggly and by eye.
I had a great time. I've been waiting for Susan to finish mine and send it, so I have been keeping it secret for two months. Now she has received it, so I can show you. (Mine should arrive soon.)
Here it is, the Rub-A-Dub Quilt:
It's roughly 21" x 25" or thereabouts.