Thursday, November 15, 2018

The Fridge


My refrigerator is making funny noises. It sounds like it's groaning, and not consistently. I had a repair guy come over and look at it yesterday and he said it could be two things. 1. the fan. The fan is easy to replace. 2. the compressor. If the compressor is on the fritz, then I need a new refrigerator. We tried shifting it a bit, and when I woke up in the middle of the night, it was groaning. When I got home after work, stuff inside was freezing. 


 So I guess I'm in the market for a new fridge. Which is not all that bad considering I can't stand the one I have.  The biggest problem is the small space it has to fit in. I need a fridge that is less than 33" wide and 65" tall. Fact is, I can't find a decent one that short. It looks like I will have to remove the cabinet that is above the refrigerator. No big deal, because I'm so short I can't use it anyway!


I spent a lot of time last night looking at refrigerators on line and I might end up with one of these three. Gonna go shopping this weekend.

Sigh.

Oh, and we're supposed to have 5 - 8 inches of snow Thursday night into Friday.

Funny but that doesn't freak me out as much as the idea of a new refrigerator does.

Stay tuned.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

That's a tough size. I had the same issue at my previous house. The fridge died around the 4th of July week so didn't have the luxury of much time for research. Bought the only one they had the right size. It didn't fit under the cabinet on one side. One of the brothers in this family store fixes that kind of stuff so he cut off the bottom of the cabinet facing. Can't get that kind of service from the big box stores.

earthmotherwithin said...

We are remodelling our kitchen and understand exactly where you are coming from. Fridges are getting bigger!

Just Ducky said...

I got a new fridge two years ago, got an LG brand, 20 cubic foot. I don't have a huge amount of room either, it sticks out a bit more than the old one did. Thing I like best, the deli tray goes all the way across.


https://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LTCS20220S-top-freezer-refrigerator

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have the French Door Refrigerator and love it. I got mine in 2005 so I'm sure there are more perks with it now. I know they have improved the handle on the freezer drawer. Mine has come off 6 times so far and I have to get the book out every time to remind myself how to get it back on.

barbara woods said...

we have a nearly new one we bought a couple of years ago . The noises coming from sounds like it peeing!

Steve said...

Just happened to us this October. Good thing, it was cold enough outside to store fridge stuff on screened porch. Bad thing, we needed an apartment size one for the very small space of the cottage. At 7:30 on a Friday night, with the neighbors dog in tow which we were dogsitting, we were headed 45 minutes away to Home Depot which was the only place with one in stock. Web site said 10 in stock, only four left when we got there as they sold six that day alone.
JUST fit in the back of the Subaru. I agree, appliance shopping is more stressful than bad weather. Good luck.

Quilting Babcia said...

We have that same issue concerning size. Our fridge is 20 years old, but it's an Amana and I'm hoping it will outlive us in this house! I hate the thought of having to replace it. Good luck!

Bambi Pearson said...

We had to take the door trim off of our kitchen to fit our fridge in-haha.

Bo said...

Samsung has had an issue with condensation under the draw inside, i have to soak up every few days depending on weather it sometimes turns to ice that needs to be broke and remove

MrsB said...

After 6 years with stainless steel I say never again. Collects dust, smears and a pain to keep clean.

Removing doors least of problems.

Sandy B said...

Two years ago I bought a refrigerator much like those in your picture. I absolutely love the French doors and the bottom freezer. I recommend a microfiber cloth for cleaning it. Use a wet one to wipe off smudges and a dry one to wipe off any water. Works great!