Tuesday, July 17, 2018

What If?


The last time I visited my long arm quilter, Janet-Lee, I dropped off my Slashed Squares quilts. Janet wondered aloud what would happen if I slashed some squares at an angle.

"Well, you'd have to figure out how to cut them apart consistently from one block to another..." I said, "and then you'd have to make sure that inner square went back together properly..." I started thinking.
"UNLESS IT DIDN'T!"

I paused, thinking hard.


"Yeah! It would be fun if I made SURE the inner square didn't go back together the right way, and that the result would be an interesting kind of a zig zag..."

I really have to do a lot of experimenting with this idea, but I think it can be really fun. The first cut, in the top picture, results in four pieces that are the same, and I don't want that.

I'll be doing some thinking and playing.

I'm taking a few days off. I need some time away from the studio. I want to enjoy the warm weather and not just by looking out the window.


6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like this idea and I LOVE this block. Have a great vacay from the web.
xx, Carol

Just Ducky said...

Get out, enjoy and get those creative juices flowing. You will think of something and it will be fabulous.

Quiltdivajulie said...

YES YES YES -- THIS is going to be fun!

Mari said...

If you stack a few blocks together and then cut them the pieces should be interchangeable. You could cut three or four at a time and make the resulting blocks go every which way. Have fun outside, but remember to stay away from the evil Lymes!

The Selvage Fairy said...

And you picked a stellar day to enjoy the thunderstorms. I suppose if you made a template you could also cut the squares on a curve.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh yes, this is a winner!! Im'd love to try this!