Monday, July 16, 2018

In Pieces and On The Couch

This is the quilt in five big chunks.

 Here it is after I have sewn the big chunks together and completed the top. It's going to  be a really pretty quilt.



Just a reminder that my diamond quilts are inspired by Pam Goecke Dinndorf's Harlequin Quilt. She sells a pattern for it here.

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

By the way, I got irked at the guy at the big box store because he did NOT listen to what I asked. I told him I wanted a work light to illuminate a wall six feet wide by eight feet tall from a distance of about between 10 and 12 feet. Then I showed him a picture of my design wall.

"Is this inside or outside? Is this a dining room?"

"It's inside, and it isn't a dining room. Why does it matter what kind of room it is? It's a work room. It's a studio. I don't need to install it permanently and I only need to use it when I take photographs."

He held up his hands, "I'm not trying to offend you."

"Well you're doing a pretty crappy job. I described exactly what I needed and you didn't listen to me."

He sighed. "OK, let's look at lights..."

When I had the little box in my hand, I looked at him. "Men do this all the time. They minimize what women do. And most women just take it. I make quilts, and I make money at it. My tools are important. I know a lot of quilters who don't have good tools or good lighting who work on a rickety ironing board and bend over a dining room table that's too low. Yet the men have every power tool known to man, table saws and riding lawn mowers. When I come to a hardware store to buy tools, the men try to sell me cheap crap. It's really aggravating."

"If that light doesn't work, bring it back," he told me.

Well, it works, so I won't have to bring it back. In fact, I went back later and bought a second one for my travel kit. The guy wasn't there, or I would have told him just how great the little light really is.          

7 comments:

Pat said...

Hear, Hear!! I know exactly what you mean. I've been insulted by so many men in big box stores because they had no clue that what I was looking for even existed (although it did) and, therefore, had to be a figment of my female imagination.

Mindy said...

I had the same experience many years ago. I went in to buy a workbench for my garage. At the time, I was up to my ears in woodworking/toll painting, etc., and wanted to organize my tools. The older gentleman who worked there came up and asked if he could help. I said I was looking for a workbench and pointed one out that I thought would work. He said -- "Don't you think you should have your husband come in and pick one out?" I said, "I don't have a husband (recently divorced - so it REALLY irked me) and the workbench is FOR ME!" He backed away......slowly..... I still have the workbench and still feel the aggravation of his comment. Men! Sheesh!

Just Ducky said...

I went through that getting a washing machine years ago. Told the guy I wanted a large capacity washer in order to be able to wash blankets and other bulky items. He kept asking me my family size. I told him it didn't matter as I wanted a large capacity washer.

I did tell him finally it was just me and then he tries to sell me a tiny apartment size washer. I just said it was not what I wanted,said I wouldn't do business with that store (now bankrupt and out of business). I went to a store where they listened and helped me, not hinder me. I give you kudos for telling the sales guy he was sexist for not listening to you.

Quiltdivajulie said...

And on the flip side, my husband stopped into a longarm quilting machine booth during an AQS show and was treated to a case of reverse-discrimination that rivals Lynne's at the big box hardware store. SO my soap box is that we need to treat each other with respect and quit perpetuating stupid stereotypes from the days of our grandparents and parents. No sales clerk or sales rep can see inside the customer to understand WHAT that customer knows or discern WHY they are asking. Just answer the questions clearly and honestly without prejudice of any kind.

Mari said...

I second Julie's comment! That said, when I went to buy a new laptop computer, the 19-year-old sales guy told me I could use it for "recipes." Recipes! I'm a professional and I write about 1000 words a day most days, plus course work. So it's not just older men, it's a whole attitude that has been learned-- and is still being learned-- by many males.

The blue quilt is beautiful, by the way!

Steven said...

Two Points

We experienced this in reverse over the last year when remodeling. The lady at the store didn't think that two men knew what they wanted or needed in a new kitchen. I finally had to turn and look her in the eye and explain that it was our money, we knew our daily lives and habits and that I was an accomplished cook both by ability and by the teaching of my Mom both as a Mom and a Home Ec teacher. And also that styles would change in five years or less and that we hoped to be in our home for at least another 15 years.

Also, my Dad never begrudged my Mom new machines or supplies for her sewing room. He recognized it as her hobby and that good quality equipment was important, just like in his woodshop. He recounted once when a customer could not believe he would let her spend that much on a sewing machine, he leaned forward and looked out the barbershop door and asked, "so how much did that trailer and two snow machines cost you," and the customer was rather stunned. Dad also knew the customer had a boat and four-wheeler, etc.

You go Lynn!

FishFishShark said...

Just curious. What light did you use. Love your quilt