Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Twenty-Eight Quilts

I spoke to the ladies of the Bedford Friendship Quilt Guild yesterday, at their meeting room in the basement of the Bedford Presbytarian Church, pictured above. And if there is a more iconic New England image than a tall white church on a hill, I don't know what it is.

The group had their show and tell first, and the ladies who took the bird class two weeks ago were asked to come to the front of the room and show off their creations. As you can see, Judy, second from the right, has been busy since the class. I think she has made a dozen birds.  One lady in the audience asked "Those are paper-pieced, right?"  I was more than happy to say a resounding "ABSOLUTELY NOT!"


After the guild had their business meeting I gave a trunk show. I brought 28 quilts with me. How much room does 28 quilts take up?

About 8 bags.

When I was getting the talk ready over the weekend I was a bit freaked out that I had ONLY 28 quilts at home, but it turned out to be a good thing, because 28 quilts is a lot of quilts.

I had a grand time, and the group was wonderful. While I answered questions after my talk, guild members folded up all my quilts, packed them in bags, took the quilt stand apart, packed that, and then asked for my keys where they then went out into the parking lot trying to find the car that unlocked when they clicked the remote, and then carefully packed my car for me.

Comments that made my day:

[told to the Program Director and then relayed to me] "I think that was the best speaker we ever had."

"I don't belong to this guild, I'm just a GUEST, but YOU!  YOU are WONDERFUL! I haven't had as much fun in a long time as I had sitting here listening to you talk. Where are you from? [here] Can you come to my guild [a town an hour's drive away] and talk? Oh good!"

"Where did you grow up?" [New Hampshire] A frown. "Really? Because you don't sound like it. I mean, you have such confidence and such personality, I thought you were from New York. I mean that as a compliment." [I took it that way]

"You're still WORKING?" [most of the ladies were retired.] "How do you DO it all?"

"Have you got a tutorial for the letters?" [Um, no.] "Well HURRY UP!" [accompanied by laughter]

Yeah, it was a great morning. I actually didn't mind going to work afterwards.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Yaaaay you.

I lurved that comment about your being from New York. I would agree - you're smart and sassy and have a quick wit and you don't suffer fools, which is, I guess, part of the stereotype of women from New York. (And I don't mean that in a bad way either! LOL)

28 quilts sound like a good number - I mean, a generous number - to have for a show and tell, especially when you've no doubt got a story to tell about each and every one.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Just Ducky said...

Only 28 quilts. I have made one in my life and that was a few decades ago. Plus all the ones you have given away.

Kathleen Heiser said...

Don't you want to take a trip down South and visit North Carolina????

Ann said...

Beautiful church, happy quilters, gorgeous quilts. Perfect day.

Millie said...

Never been to North Carolina. Email me.

Tradquilter said...

Oh so that's why I have all those quilty tote bags!!! Lol

Quiltdivajulie said...

GOOD FOR YOU and how grand for those ladies to spend a morning with you and your quilts. (gorgeous photo of that church, too)