Sunday, February 25, 2018

Plan for Another Quilt

After creating the Colorado Quilt, I wished it didn't live so far away so I could show it off.  The more I thought about it, the more obvious the answer was - that I should make a "New Hampshire Quilt" that showed off where I lived. I could have birds that represented important people and places in my life.

The names on this page are my relatives, my friends, my most favorite teachers, artists and places. Yeah, I know these aren't photographs, but each of these names MEANS something to me, and in a quilt that is a kind of self-portrait, these are things that have influenced me and made me what I am. For me, the colors and fabrics I choose will represent the way I think of them.

This is my friend Kathy,

These are fabrics I have pulled for Kathy's block. I pulled them before I went back to look at the picture of the two of us, so I may change the stripe to a black and white stripe. But the colored one is more suited to her personality.

This is the bird block for Kathy. I needed something "wingy" for the wing, and having changed that fabric, I needed something with better contrast so I changed the breast fabric too.

Notice the purple legs.  Since many of the people I will represent in this quilt are artists of one kind or another they won't have the usual black legs.


If you want to make your own free pieced birds, you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop.


7 comments:

The Selvage Fairy said...

Will you include your new house?

Nancy J said...

This is going to be another fabulous representation of you and friends and family maybe as well.Off to a great start.

Quiltdivajulie said...

And she is off on another grand adventure!

Pat said...

Great idea!

Cheryl said...

Oh this is going to be a fun ride!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, yeah. I had one wild guy with orange legs.....

liz said...

love !!