Sunday, October 23, 2016

Pepperell Birds

The ladies of the Squanacook Colonial Quilt Guild had a great time on Saturday making birds.

.
.
.
.

.

.
One student bought a field guide to birds and made these birds based on real birds. From left is the Cardinal, Robin and Goldfinch.

Here are some more birds the ladies made on Saturday.


They all did a great job and made some terrific birds.


This was made by Cherie Moore. It's her guild's challenge quilt. The challenge was Waterfowl with 4" of water. Cherie did a great job of adapting my birds into shore birds. Note also that Cherie's bird legs go into the water. I received this photo during the class on Saturday, and the students were really happy to see this.

You can find my free-pieced bird tutorial here, on my Etsy page. Please note that my birds are free pieced, which means they are made without traditional patterns or templates and they are not paper pieced.

8 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, they are all terrific! Thanks for sharing. They are all so different and so wonderful!

Louise said...

I love them all!! The ones from the field guide cracked me up :)

Megan said...

I agree - they all look terrific. The ones from the field guide were wonderful adaptations as was the challenge quilt.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

The Selvage Fairy said...

And the flock grows. I wonder if the tie-dye bird is a friend of my "special" child.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Birds are like one of my favorite things to do. I wonder why I dont have a million of them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

GREAT student work -- Fun to see some of the birds with the short fatter beaks. And using the field guide as inspiration is another good idea. So many beautiful birds in your class's flock! And isn't Cherie's quilt just AWESOME ?!?!?!

Poppy Q said...

What a beautiful variety of birds you helped create.

Pat said...

What a beautiful assortment of birds. I'm sure the class was a ton of fun.