Saturday, June 11, 2016

One Step Forward, One Step Back

So I took the sky off the barn block because I hated the tree area on the right and wanted to add a contrasting edge to the roof of the barn. Then I sewed it back on and oh hell. One side was wider than the other. I hate when that happens. I don't know how it happened, and it doesn't matter. But I took it all apart again and fixed it.

This is much improved. But I didn't like how the roof of the house on the left touched the barn's roof overhang. That had to go, and I had to resolve the wooded area to the right.

The woods on the right isn't perfect, but it's better than what was there yesterday. And now that I have figured out a pretty nifty way to do that, I'll use that technique in the future, and will be able to include the effect of trees behind that barn that can be seen above the barn's roof in future barn quilts.  Remember, we learn best by making mistakes and then fixing them.

There are still a few more little details I want to improve - I need to fix the snow, the house needs a window, and the foreground needs to be added, but I'm much happier with this than I was yesterday.

1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like that nifty method you used for the trees. Small changes DO make a big difference!