Friday, April 29, 2016

New Hampshire Barns

I never realized barns were different all around the country until I saw the quilts from the SSOBB.   Reading the comments on my two barn posts, this fact was raised again and again.  Many of you have never seen barns connected to houses.  Which, naturally, I find very interesting, because they are all over the place around here.

When I drive to Quilted Threads "the back way," I pass through the towns of Goffstown, Weare, Dunbarton and Henniker NH.
 
These are some of the houses with attached barns I pass along the way. These photos are from Google Maps.





 Here are more NH barns...

This is the back of the Quilted Threads quilt shop in Henniker NH.


This is the pig farm barn with its attached house.

Many commenters mentioned the barns looked like houses. I don't think they do. Now you can decide for yourself.


PS, the giveaway is still on. On Saturday I will pick a name at random from the comments on Monday's post

6 comments:

Alice said...

Very, very interesting. i wonder why so many are so close to the road. I'm in NY, Albany area, and I see barns and houses so close to the road. I like your choices for the book.

Sandi said...

I imagine your much harsher winters are one big reason for the attached barns.

I will have to go and look a bit closer at some of the barns in my area to see if any are attached. Thanks for sharing some more pictures.

Browndirtcottage said...

I love the fact the barns are painted a different color, defining it from the house! I think they are most interesting!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great post -- especially for those of us who haven't spent a lot of time in New England.

Camp Stanhope Happenings said...

I didn't realize barns were that much different around the country, either. When we were driving through Wisconsin to see our granddaughter (I live in north-central Iowa and the granddaughter now lives in Woodbury, MN!) the barns are mostly stone-bottomed and more square than our barns in Iowa, and I've never seen barns attached to houses! THanks for sharing!!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Looks like "back home" to me! ;) Great post.