Sunday, November 29, 2015

Twirling Dervish - Got Backing!

Making backings is my least favorite thing to do about making quilts. It's not that I mind designing them, it's that working with really big pieces of fabric is more like quilt wrangling than sewing.

So whenever I finish a quilt lately, I want to get the backing done as soon as possible, to get it out of the way.  Now that the Twirling Dervish flimsy is finished, I looked through my stash to find some options. Since I rarely buy fabric in chunks larger than a yard, I have to find multiple fabrics that I think can have some fun together.


I had a little over two yards of this multi colored dotted fabric. I added a bit of green to make it long enough, but I needed to add some width. The reddish paisley was OK, but I still needed a bit more. I studied my stash, and then I saw the flying pigs. Since this quilt is going to somebody with a barn and farm animals, the pigs were perfect!

Here's as much as I could get of the whole thing.

Yup, that's gonna work.

Cross this one off the list.

3 comments:

Nancy J said...

Ample backing, and lovely with pigs, and paisley.

Pat said...

Love those piggys. I agree about the wrangling.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Glad that I am not the only one that dislikes working with those big 'hunks' of fabric. Love our quilt, it is gorgeous. Scrappy is the best.