Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A Spatchcock Turkey

Somebody wanted to know how I cook my turkey if I cut the back out of it.  Well, here you go. I've done it like this the last three or four years, and I'm never going back. The turkey is done in about an an hour, and it's sixteen kinds of fantastic.

Yeah, there's something really wrong about the way this looks...
 Go here, and do this:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/543-45-minute-roast-turkey

or this:
http://food52.com/recipes/19394-spatchcocked-roast-turkey

Yup, cut the back out of the turkey, flatten it out, and cook it at 450F for about 45 minutes or so. Oh, you say, you can't present the big bird at the table? Who cares?  I cut the meat off the breasts, cut it into thick (3/4") slices, put it on a platter, and then carry on with the rest of the carving. It looks great, tastes great and is a lot less fussy.  I roast chickens the same way.

I'm right on schedule with my list. Tonight it's cook the carrots, prepare the broccoli and set the table.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Lookin' good Lynne.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Pat said...

Makes sense to me!! Our turkey always wound up being carved in the kitchen, not the at the table, anyway. I watched a Food Network show of The Kitchen last week and they did something not that different - cut the bird up and roasted it that way.

Just Ducky said...

Different. Nobody we know does the whole turkey on the table either. Carve in the kitchen and take to the table. Plus you are doing a buffet.

Quayquilter said...

Yep and if you cut the back out it will make a good stock for the gravy.