Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Backing for the Jubilee

After all my crock about how this quilt had to have a subdued backing, I shopped several online fabric sites and found absolutely NOTHING that (in my hairdresser's words) "lifted my skirt."


Until I found this Kaffe print. A version of this in a different colorway is in the quilt itself, but this fabric just screamed "ME! Pick ME!"

So I did.  Of course it isn't quite this gigantic, but eight yards are on their way to me even as you read this.

And at this stage of the game, the binding might be a blue or a green or a teal. That will change, undoubtedly, when I get the quilt back from Chris. And since I put my nephew's name on the back of his quilt, my niece's name will have to go on the back of hers.  Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Gorgeous beyond words. you have made the right choice for sure.

Purple Boots and Pigtails said...

Question time...are you planning to have a straight edge for binding or leave all those delicious diamonds as they are? Which leads me to ... if you square it off, will you cut it before or after Chris works her magic? This top will be super stretchy with all those bias cuts, so I wonder if trimming after might be helpful?
I like the back, it reinforces that my eye is drawn first to all the littlest diamonds that act like stripes. Those are the colours in your backing fabric. Glad you steered away from the predictable creams, yellows and golds...much too matchy matchy.
Lastly, did you have a 60° diamond ruler or did you cut with a straight ruler?

Pat said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

Now I want a gigantic print. Your niece is going to be the envy of her entire dorm.