Monday, May 18, 2015

The Garden...

I have a lot of quilty things to do. I have to finish the Blue Deco quilt. I have to sew the hanging sleeve on the back of the Welcome Banner. I cleaned the studio and sorted through all the fabric scraps, and now I have to put them away.
The site of the old waterfall.
However the garden has been demanding lately. I took apart the old "water feature" which was nothing more than a pile of rocks and a plastic bin. It will serve as a path for my neighbors to access their heating oil tank in the winter. I've replanted some daylilies there along with an Agastache plant. In between the rocks, and along the perimeter,  I've planted some nasturtiums. I'll figure out what kind of small ground cover would be best to fill in the spaces between the rocks to prevent erosion later.
The location of the shade garden.
 I've hired a landscaper to remove the excess mulch from this side of the house, till the ground and add some loam. The ground around the houses is two inches of dirt, and then sand, so it needs help if I want the shade garden to survive and last for many years. I've got a great collection of plants ready for this area, and I am very excited about it.

Planter in front of the big rock in the front yard.
The front yard needs a lot of work, but there's a lot of good stuff out there, and I want to know what's there before I start doing anything big. In the meantime I put this Canna in a pot out front.


Quiltdivajulie said...

Lot of work involved but oh, so many rewards. Hang in there and keep going (one plant a time).

sharon said...

I am impressed, and I know how terrible the bugs have been so double kudos to you....