Friday, November 21, 2014

Back! Back!

The thing I dislike most about making quilts is getting the backing ready.  The Fall House Top quilt is 56" wide by 110" long, so the backing has to be 68" wide by 122" long.  THAT'S BIG!

(My longarm quilter, Chris, asks that the backing be 6" bigger than the quilt on all four sides. Since I love Chris and the work she does for me, I oblige her.)


Here are the fabrics I found (in my stash) that I'll be using for the backing. Since the quilt is going to be used as a tablecloth, the food themed fabrics are appropriate. There will be a panel of the black martini style fabric, then a strip of the forks, then the coffee themed fabric, then another strip of the forks, then the martini fabric.

At least in my new living room I have space to lay out a piece of fabric 122" long.  My goal for the weekend is to get the backing all done.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Does the backing really have to be 12in wider and 12in longer than your quilt? That seems a lot. My understanding is that some longarm quilters can work with much smaller overhangs than that. That said, it still needs to be a fairly large backing because it's a fairly large quilt! And, oh, the joy of having enough space to spread out a long length of fabric. Yaaaaay.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Pat said...

Totally jealous of all that floor space. I mostly make smaller quilts and do my own quilting. The last larger one I made, I sent out for basting on the LA due to lack of horizontal space. :( Are you making this into a quilt? I thought it was just going to be a table cloth.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You are correct!!!

What Chris wants, Chris gets!

Her work is so worth the effort!!!!!!!

Jean said...

The backing isn't my favorite either, but I am happy when it's ready to quilt!

Jean said...

The backing isn't my favorite either, but I am happy when it's ready to quilt!