Saturday, July 5, 2014

Valor

I was asked to make a banner for the local QOV group. Usually I start with the first letter in the phrase, but this time I had something special planned, so I stared with the V. What was the something special? I wanted to use serifs.  Here is the finished word.

The serifs are the little extra bits you see above on the V, A, L and R. The top right arm of the V will have a serif later. I'll add it when I create the top border.

The other special element I had planned was to use a five pointed star as the negative space in the O.  So how do you make a five pointed star without paper piecing?  With a lot of forethought. Here is how I did it.


I made three points of the star and surrounded two with the background red fabric on two sides. One of the triangles only needed the background fabric on one side.


The points were sewn around a white triangle. The (seriously) cool thing about sewing this five pointed star together is that I didn't have to sew into corners. It wasn't hard, but it was tricky.

My star isn't 100% perfect, but it's damn close and from a few feet away you can't even tell.

4 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Genius at work.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Perfect from where I'm sitting! Well done~

Pat said...

How clever of you!

Sewgirl said...

Nicely done…such a clever lady you are!