Friday, September 28, 2012

Black Box Update

I found Millie napping on the Black Box quilt. I've tried to keep it someplace where she can't get on it, but obviously I failed.

I have been working on the quilt. I didn't like part of what I did the last time I worked on it, so I took that out.  I realized I put the left side of the box and rays together differently than the way I put the right side together.  So I've taken it apart and will get it back together the "correct" way.

It isn't that I've been avoiding this quilt, it's just that I've been named project manager of the renovation of our primary conference room at work. This means I've been on the phone with the contractor, electrician, designers, and technical folks for hours each day.  It means I've been the go-between between the CEO and CFO and everybody else on the outside. I've been shopping for conference room chairs, reviewing rug samples, soothing ruffled feathers and getting to know some really wonderful painters, plasterers, and carpenters.  It means I've got to work early to meet workers, and left late (after getting my own work done).  I even spent a few hours at the office last weekend while a two foot wide by ten foot long trench was jack-hammered out of the concrete so we could run electrical, network and telephone lines under the floor so they could come up through the bottom of the as-yet-to-be-selected ultra-mega-cool conference room table.

Everything that -was- in the room is going.  The wallpaper was stripped, and the condition of the wallboard underneath was not good. The walls needed two days of prep work before the custom designed, custom printed wallpaper could be hung.  Tomorrow the very last of the wallpaper will be hung, and the "jewelry" will be installed. What "jewelry?" A 60" flat panel TV, a ceiling mounted projector, a new speaker system, and an almost four foot by eight foot interactive whiteboard.  Running these goodies will be not one, but two computers.  We're getting a 3D version of our corporate logo installed on one long wall (they call it "branding") along with some large images of the products we manufacture. (I've had to oversee the choice of those photos too.)

So not only have I been getting home late, but I've been pretty well zonked. That and the fact that my son is traveling on the West Coast (two weeks ago he was in Mexico, next week he'll be in Yosemite) and has been calling me late at night to talk have all contributed to make me spend my evenings sacked out on the couch with a book instead of in the sewing room making magic.

Fortunately the "heavy lifting" part of the project is complete, and I'll be able to get back to sewing soon.

I can't wait.


Quiltdivajulie said...

Now that you are the project manager, the whole room is gonna be uber-excellent. Hang in there - it will be worth it in the end!

Queenie Believe said...

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of quilting! :o)
Have a wonderful weekend.
Always, Queenie

Derby, Ducky said...

Busy lady!