Thursday, May 20, 2010

Quilting The Rules

My sewing machine has a very narrow "throat" and I use a walking foot for quilting. Quilting with a walking foot is a royal pain in the butt. (Sew, stop, raise the pressure foot, move the fabric, move half the quilt around and through the really tight "throat" of this damn sewing machine, flatten everything out, lower the pressure foot, sew [quilt] two or three inches, repeat...) I outline quilted around the letters, trying to stay an even 1/8" away from the edge of the letter. I worked out a way to do each row in one long continuous line. I did it all by eye. No rulers, no tape, no marking. You can click the photos to enlarge.

In the big blank area to the left of "FUN" I zig-zag quilted the space in 3 parallel rows. After all, it was supposed to "break the rules."
All in all, the quilting took two evenings. By this time I was teasing Helen unmercifully, and having a grand time doing it.

I had also been neglecting any and all housework. I'd come home from work, make myself something to eat, pile the dirty dishes on the kitchen counter, and head right into the sewing studio to work. I'd work on it all day on Saturdays, and clean the house a bit on Sunday.

I was having a ball. I also knew very early on this quilt would be a stunner. I knew Helen would love it, and it made me very happy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The quilting is gorgeous! Of course, she would love it!

Quilts and Cats said...

Great job...but it's time to get a Bernina!

Sherry said...

Great job. Doing it all free hand and not marking it. You should be proud of your self.

Joyce said...

Great quilting, in spite of your machine handicaps.