Thursday, March 11, 2010

Change Partners and Dance

Last night I switched gears, and started sewing the colored strips together that will become the border of on-point squares. The colors will be the colors of the letters in the Quick Brown Fox, all batik-y looking, so none of these colors are real "prints." Those are the fabrics I have used fairly consistently in this quilt, and I want to keep the same effect going. The colors will be arranged spontaneously, without a specific pattern repetition.

The blue background is 2" strips, the color is 1-1/2", sewn with a quarter inch seam, then the pieces are cut crosswise into 1-1/2" slices and then sewn together. I put together a tutorial here.I thought you'd all get a kick out of hearing my running frustrations with the Quick Brown Fox quilt. The fact is if artists do the same thing they're good at day in and day out, their work becomes boring (to themselves) and stale. So artists always find ways to challenge themselves. They grow, they increase the level of difficulty, they always find a new problem to solve, or a new way of looking at something, and give their viewers a fresh way of seeing the "same old thing."

I know I'm going to solve the problem. I know it will all come out in the end. If I was working alone, nobody would see the options I considered, they'd only see the end product. That's where a blog is different - I share my process and problems. I didn't want anybody to think that it all came easily or without any effort or angst.

I've learned from long experience that if it isn't working not to force it, to set it aside and let it alone. I've learned that sometimes you have to change partners and dance.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

When I laid out the backsplash tile in my bath I randomly moved them around and the tile guy kept trying to make it blue, white, yellow, green. NO! I stood next to him to make sure he kept it random. Love the border. Love the fact you put so much into every detail. Did you say chocolate?

Pokey said...

You're showing nice progress. So good of you to be real about the creative process!