Thursday, January 1, 2009

A House is a House, Part Two

Back in October, when I finished piecing the letters for my alphabet quilt, I started thinking about the house I would add. Eventually I decided to make a slightly wonky pieced version of the house I live in.

Over the Christmas Holiday, I started thinking about the house again. I decided that since it's white, the background would have to be darker, so I decided to use the letters with the black background. While looking at my sketches, I also decided not to make the house strictly black and white. So I picked a soft green for the windows, and lavender for the doors. The roof is a couple of very dark greens, the steps two browns and the foundation is a grey. I don't think I was really thinking when I added the blue backgrounds. The one on the sides of the house really doesn't do much. I might rip it out and replace it with the blue sky fabric. My house does have a chimney, but I couldn't see it in any of my pictures, so I left it out. Of course, the house also has a side porch which I left out too, as well as the bushes in the front.

My upstairs neighbors really do have an oversized potted plant on their porch railing, and my cat really does sit in that window. The windows are 1" wide by 2" tall. The house block is 14" x 18". You can click the photo to enlarge, if you like.Here is the block with a picture of my house and one of my preliminary sketches. I didn't make a pattern for the house, and I didn't use paper piecing. It's all free-pieced.

Happy New Year! Thanks to all of you who read this blog and give me such encouragement. Have a very healthy and prosperous New Year.

7 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

It's wonderful. That cat is perfect - just the right size and so adorable. You did a great job of choosing which details to include. Your sampler is going ot be awesome. Happy New Year!

Gina said...

It's fabulous.

happy New Year to you

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Anonymous said...

OH that is beautiful and Miss Millie added in just perfects it! :))

Carol E. said...

LOVE your gorgeous house block. The cat in the window is so cute and homey!!

Mel said...

Great rendering!
Happy New Year!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

It's lovely. can't wait to see more!
happy New Year!

Mariella said...

I like it, I like it a lot!! Don't change the blue sides they look wonderful the way they are. Just my humble opinion..... For Christmas I got 2 liberated quilt books and a liberated alphabet book.....despite having only about a million UFO's I just had to start playing with the new ideas!!!