Monday, August 31, 2026

The Demise of the Tri-Recs Ruler Set

 

The Tri-Recs ruler set, which I use in my Scrap Slab Triangles quilts, has apparently been discontinued. I am sure they can be found for sale somewhere on the internet, but I have found two other options and want to tell you about them. Both options are made by Creative Grids and can be found in quilt shops or online. 

This is the Creative Grids 2 Peaks in 1 6" Triangle. (Part number CGR2P1) It combines the two pieces of the Tri-Recs ruler set in one template. It is a one to one match for the Tri-Recs ruler set and no adjustments are needed to use it. But I think it's a bit more awkward to use.

The other option is two rulers. They are sold individually. 

The first is the Triangle Squared ruler (Part Number CGRTMT2).  It would be used to make the center triangle of the Scrap Slab Triangle block. 

The second is the Perfect Rectangle ruler (Part Number CGRTMT3). It would be used to make the side triangles of the Scrap Slab Triangle block. 


Both rulers are larger (taller) than the ones in the Tri Recs set, and you'd have to remember to cut along the appropriate lines. I use painter's tape to help me get the right line and not forget when I'm cutting.

They work great. The disadvantage is having to purchase two rulers and nowadays these things aren't cheap.

I love the Perfect Rectangle ruler and have used it to make the Needle in a Haystack and Pink Panther quilts. It's also the ruler used to make any of my Zebra quilts.

I'm in the process of updating my tutorial with information about using the new rulers and that will be available in the next couple of weeks.

If you have any further questions email me. PatcheryMenagerie AT gmail DOT com.


1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your research into this paid off. Thankfully I have my Tri Recs. Of the two you show, I would buy the second set (2 rulers). That other one looks awkward to use (for me).