The Dancing Jewels quilt is finished. Quilts look so different outside. In the shade or sun this quilt really sparkles.
As you can see, there's a bit of ham in this kid. (Type "nephew" in the search box at the right to see more posts about him.)
I made the new quilt because my nephew said his old one was wearing out. This is the "old one" I made him in 2015. I had asked if I could see it because I was interested in just how worn out it was. When he held it up I was stunned! Several fabrics had worn out completely, and the binding had come apart from the quilt in at least two places. I'm pretty sure the quilt got washed once a week. (That's 624 washings.) I'm surprised he didn't ask me to make him a new quilt sooner!
Given the wear of the original quilt, I stopped hand sewing the binding and ran it through the machine. I figured that hard use necessitated a very sturdy binding.
According to him, "It's perfect. I don't need a sheet or even a blanket. I just wrap myself up in my quilt at night and I'm just fine." You can see pictures of the quilt when it was new, and a photo of him wrapped up as he sleeps in his quilt here.
I told him that the biggest compliment a quilter could get is evidence of a quilt worn out because it is so well loved.





No comments:
Post a Comment