Saturday, July 18, 2026

Silver & Pink, Working it Out

 

After I removed the dark gray, I felt I needed a lighter pink, so I cut a pink Charley Harper fabric with brown birds in it. Then I put them up on the design wall, swapping their positions with the pink blender. Now the gradation from light to dark pink was interrupted, but I liked it better.

Next I shifted the position of the lightest gray. Now instead of at one end of a light to dark run, I placed it in the middle of the other two darker grays. This was better.

BETTER, not great! Still a lot of work to do yet.

I had only a small amount of this gray batik. I did not have enough of it to use it the way I would have wanted to, so it had to go.

Similarly, this Ghastlies print, though I love it very much and has all the colors I want to use, had to go because if I cut it into small rectangles, the fabric wouldn't appear cohesive from block to block, so it had to go too.

Rummaging through my stash I found this, which kinda sorta worked.

I also added a very pale pink.

I was getting closer, but it wasn't quite there. I needed a dark pink. "Well, Lynne, " I thought to myself, "you know full well pink is nothing more than a light red violet, so if you need a dark pink, you're going to have to go into your violet pile and find something that will work."

To my violet pile I went.

I chose the fabric on the right to be the darkest "pink." The fabric on the left is the same value as the darker pink I had in the design before, but the print on this fabric made it more interesting.

So I made those changes and lo and behold, the design was getting better. 

During the day I had been texting Julie, and she did not like the Tula Pink Flamingo pink fabric. I was on the fence about it, as well, so back to the stash I went.


...by the way, you know the world is laughing at you when you realize the shoes you are wearing are pretty much the colors of the project you are working on....

I found a pink fabric with tulips and other flowers, pinks but also some yellows and greens. As soon as I put it up on the design wall I knew it was a keeper.

Yes, this is definitely headed where I want to go.


I filled in the areas around the edges and am happier with this by the minute.

These are the eight fabrics I have on the design wall now. Three of them are ones I started with.

5 comments:

Nancy J said...

Like Goldilocks said " Just right" .

Julierose said...

Looking so perfect!! I love the tulip print--really brings it to life...
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great visual explanation of the process. These fabrics are much more "Lynne" than where you started.

helenreimers said...

Lots Better.

Karen said...

I love the image; I had the fantasy that you would just add some staples to that wall and make it a permanent embellishment to your studio.