What do you do on a perfect autumn day when the temperatures are mild, the sun is out, the house is clean (ish) and you have an idea for a quilt in your head? You go shopping. I drove out to Portsmouth NH to the Portsmouth Fabric Company.
I went there because they are known to have a gigantic collection of Kaffe Fassett fabrics as well as other unique and modern novelty-ish fabrics. I wanted some giant prints in green to add to my collection for my Green-Eyed Monster quilt.
I bought these, which will work very well. I have already run them through the washer and dryer and cut strips from them.
I also bought this Ghastlies fabric, because, Hello! how could I not?
And I bought this for the binding of my A Spring of Teal quilt, the small bird sampler quilt. Because you know, cats - birds...!!!
Boy, I'm telling you, thank goodness for GPS. I used to live just outside of Portsmouth, so I used to know my way around, but I can't remember the time I was last there.. (Oh wait, it was the year the last of the Harry Potter books came out, because I was there for my birthday with my son and we passed by a lot of people reading it. The books invariably came out around my birthday.) Anyway, I couldn't remember where Penhallow Street was, so thank the GPS. But parking in Portsmouth is rather a nightmare. I knew once I found a parking space, I could use the GPS to lead me in the right direction.
Fortunately they now have parking garages in Portsmouth or I'm pretty sure I would have never made it into town. The town was PACKED with visitors and tourists. I navigated through it all, and found a parking garage and parked, then walked about a block to two to the shop. It was fun because when I gave my name one of the sales ladies looked up and said, "OH! I want to take your bird class, I just LOVE your birds!" We had a nice chat.
Fortunately my phone has a gizmo that remembers where I parked my car, because I had absolutely no freaking clue where the parking garage was. I was able to find my way to the correct parking garage (apparently there are two) and locate my car. Driving home was a piece of cake. I had the sunroof open, the cruise control set, and the heat blasting.
It was a great day.




Looks like a lovely day, it is spring here and it is cold and windy here. The heaters are on.
ReplyDeleteI love Kaffe Fassett designs but the cat one made me smile.
Julie and Poppyq
xxx
I bought that Ghastlies print when I was in NC (town near the Folk School) for the back of my strata quilt.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a grand day.
Any town with water, bridges and non-straight streets is a place that will be hard to get around.
ReplyDeleteYou've got to love GPS. One day I had to go to downtown L.A., and when my event was over, I couldn't remember where I had parked my car. I think it took me an hour or more to find the right lot. I was really in a panic.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a perfectly wonderful day. What a treat to have the clerk pop up and recognize you and express a desire to learn from you.
ReplyDelete