Page 1

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Machine is Smoking!!

 

My Mother called me the other morning about 10:30 AM. She asked what I was doing. "Sewing on the Pink and Silver Quilt," I told her. "Wow Lynne, 10:30 in the morning and you're already sewing!"

I didn't have heart to tell her I'd been sewing since 8 AM. I was awake, I got up and went directly into the studio (in my nightgown.) When I'm "deep into" a quilt, that's what happens.

Because of the layout of this quilt, there are at least nine blocks that end up in the quilt that cannot fit on the design wall. When I took the photo above, I was working on those extra blocks on the right side.

About forty minutes later I had finished that section on the upper right and was getting ready to work on the section just below.  That didn't take all that long. I did that and then stopped for lunch. After lunch I sewed the big sections together. There were about five or six of them.

Here is that big section all sewn together. I think it's about 74 or so inches wide. It's wider than I normally like, but the design wanted to be that size and I have long known that "what the quilt wants, the quilt should get."

After that I sat down on the porch to read. I read until I finished "The Art of a Lie" by Laura Shepherd-Robinson and DAMN it was good. I did NOT see the ending coming. To say I recommend it is an understatement. Go get / borrow this book and read it! The characters got so much under my skin that when I went to bed the night before I couldn't stop thinking about them, and worrying about them. I can't remember the last time that happened.




PS, when I sent photos of the day's work to my friend Susan, she texted back... "Lynne, you're on fire! Your machine is SMOKING!" 

Ergo the title of this post.


3 comments:

  1. Keep the fire extinguisher close by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you didn't mean your machine was literally smoking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an oh such wonderful quilt! The colors, the values, the placement it has it all in spades!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.