Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Hex Me!

I love pattern. I love graphic designs (which means I like the interplay of flat, geometric shapes) so it is perfectly logical that I love Amish quilts the best, but these triangle in a box blocks have so much potential and I am having a lot of fun with them.

This is I don't know how many scrap slab triangles arranged on the design wall.

See how six of them make a six pointed star shape with a hexagon in the middle? Very nice. But notice my design wall only has room for two full shapes, then it has a half a shape. That means my quilt will have to be 18" wider, or 72". No problem, I can do that. I'm going to have to shift everything over so the design will be centered while I figure out what I want to do with it, but that will happen later.  While this is quite lovely, I have other colors I want to play with.

This is kinda sorta fun, but those half designs on the sides REALLY have to be completed shapes. Again, not a big deal, and not worth stopping the creative ideas that are zinging around. Time to fill up those empty hexagon spaces...

This is cool, but it's a bit too regular and predictable for my taste.


I like it with lots of color.

There is definitely a lot of potential here, and I am just throwing the shapes up on the wall to make the pattern. I haven't fine tuned anything, like finding the right placement and orientation of each triangle slab. I'll find it. I'm in the early stages yet.




5 comments:

Just Ducky said...

Why not try to put some of the inside diamonds something other than straight across. Points going from NE to SW and then NW to SE? Not just E to W. Is N to S possible?

rondiquilts said...

Love ths!

Rondi

The Selvage Fairy said...

Will there be black and white prints to fill in around the diamonds?

The Selvage Fairy said...

Ooo, and how big a pillow would you need to hold one six-pointed star?

Mystic Quilter said...

Well you may say you're t'hrowing' shapes on the wall and nothing fine tuned but I love this design.