Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Binding Tutorial is LIVE!



I am happy to announce that Lynne's Binding Tutorial is now LIVE! You can find it here in my Etsy shop.   (the link works now.)

It's 60 pages long and filled with color photographs. I give suggestions on choosing fabric for the binding, tell you how to know how many strips to cut, how to join the strips invisibly, and how to apply it to your quilt and how to do the finish sewing by hand AND by machine. I talk about using a hanging sleeve, how to keep your binding full, how to sew it on the quilt and keep it straight, flat and even! I have tips and tricks to make joining the ends easier and how to "wrangle" a quilt! I even  show you the tools I use and some of the nifty ones that come from the big-box hardware store!

And Sandra, using a walking foot is a terrific idea if your sewing machine has trouble dealing with the bulk of attaching binding to a quilt. I've used a walking foot many times, but now with my Bernina and Elna sewing machines, I don't have to. Like I say in the tutorial: Use whatever works!

It's an instant download, so you can get it right away.

My next trick: the backing of my Early Autumn quilt!

6 comments:

Sandy B said...

Thank you Lynne for a binding tutorial that is filled with useful practical delightfully amazing sewing and binding tricks and tips! It’s a treasure. I recommend it to all quilters, newbies and those who have been quilting for a long time.

Jocelyn said...

Lynne, many thanks for the clarity of your new binding tutorial. Visually and verbally exact!
Practice is in order for me before beginning a real quilt. Two questions : what are your favorite pins
for the binding work and your preferred needle? So happy that you bring us along on your quilt life.

Millie said...

Jocelyn, they don't make my favorite pins any more, and someday I'm going to run out and that will annoy me big time. The pins I use are Dritz Ultra Fine glass head pins. They are actually a bit too soft - they bend very easily, but in every other aspect, they are great. I buy them five or six packages at a time and always have a good supply on hand when the level of pins in the pin tin gets low.

As for a hand sewing needle? Geez, I dunno. Something fine, not too long and wicked sharp.

victoria girl said...

I use Wonder clips to hold my binding in place instead of pins, easier on the hands and no nasty pokes.

scarlett said...

Well done binding tutorial. Thank you.
Your stitch length is 1/8"? Mine are generally between 1/8" and 1/4", so I'm close.
You said not to start blind hem stitching in the corner. That is where I always start, since it holds down the fabric in the miter. comment please.

Millie said...

Scarlett,

I don't START right in the corner because I find it too tricky. I start about 18 inches away and work my way towards a corner. When I get TO a corner, I do stitch into the miter to hold it together, then work my way back to the edge of the binding and continue.

Actually, I don't think STARTING in a corner is bad, but I think ENDING in one would be worse. I would be worried about tying the threads off and securing the corner. Or rather, NOT being able to securely hold the miter together and then tying off the ends. Invisibly.

I try not to give myself more problems than I have to.