Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Early Autumn Backing

When I finish a quilt top, I usually put it away for a bit and don't choose the backing fabric until a few weeks later. Why don't I pick it out right away?  Dunno, but when I have had a project deep in my head for so long, I need a breather. So I set it aside and then when I get around to it, I go looking for a backing. 



 I picked the green for the backing. I have decided I want to exhibit this quilt, so I will make a signature panel for the back, so I also chose this reddish orange and this deep brown. The brown looks like tree bark and might make a great binding. I am not sure about that because it is darker than anything else in the quilt, but I am not worried. I won't have to decide for a while. The brown would be good for letters too.

I also bought this orange-y stuff, and the one in the middle looks cream but is actually a sage-y green.

I'll figure it all out, but I want to start making letters over the long Thanksgiving weekend.

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have some of that green and it is glorious. Those fabrics will make a beautiful back!!

rondiquilts said...

Love this post. This quilt needs to go on tour. Good to hear that you are going to be making some letters too. I am knee deep in letters and words, too many. Think I may have bit off more than I should have this close to Christmas. I got out my Tonya book for a refresher. I've enjoyed seeing the quilts and familiar names from years past.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Rondi