Monday, November 12, 2018

Critical Edit


The binding tutorial is going through its final edits. Allison sent me an email titled CRITICAL EDIT.

"One thing I forgot to add in my last comments...

How do you do the hand stitching on the binding without stabbing the cat in your lap???"

I'm pretty sure she was joking, but still. If you have cats and you make quilts you know they are a combination that goes together like salt and pepper.

The cat in the photo above is Gizzy, the cat who came before Millie. As you can see from the photo, Gizzy was one relaxed, trusting cat. There was not much that fazed him. I was hand sewing the binding down on the front of this small quilt (chessboard, actually) when I got to his ear, which was in the way.

"Hey, Gizzy, you gotta move."

Gizzy did not move.

So I tapped his ear with my finger. He moved it out of the way. When I had stitched past his ear, I tapped it again, and he put it back where it was.

I was close to the corner of the quilt. I'm pretty sure that I got to the corner, and shifted the quilt counterclockwise, so I could turn the corner and work on the other side. Gizzy was the kind of cat who would simply get up, move to where he wanted to be, and plop himself down again without any fuss.

Other cats may not be so accomodating.

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

I think all of my kitties must be related to Gizzy

Allison said...

Love it! My cat insists on being in the middle of the action, and I have to wait until he's fallen asleep so I can continue to stitch. Otherwise, he pounces the thread and needle.

Just Ducky said...


Ducky loves to help with my crochet. I am afraid I will poke him in the eye with my hook. But, stitches are carefully inspected for quaility.

Robby said...

I quickly learned after getting married and becoming the wicked step-mom to two cats that "All string is ours. And we mean ALL!". Eventually, we achieved some level of detente but it still included them getting as close as physically possible sometimes. I can just picture your kitty's ear flicking out of the way, and back again. Our kitties are gone now, so thanks for a such a sweet image.