Friday, November 16, 2018

Almost Ready, but Not Quite



I went shopping after work last night, and chose my new refrigerator. I got a big one. Mine will be stainless steel, not this slate gray. They will deliver it the day after Thanksgiving, which is great, so I don't have to take a day off from work for that.

It's nice and bright inside too. Everything is looking good.

I found some wallpaper to cover up the house's original wallpaper that will be exposed when my dad and I remove the cabinet that's right above the sink.  

and then I looked at my front door.

Hmm.

I got out the measuring tape.

Double hmm.

To get the new fridge in my house the guys will have to remove the refrigerator doors, and then they'll have about a quarter inch of leeway to get it in. AND that's after I remove the storm door.

(grumble.)

Naturally a smaller fridge will fit smoothly through my front door.

Must do some serious thinking. Also, research.

 (Insert eight hours. The sharp-eyed amongst you will notice that I posted the first part of this last night, and took it down this morning. Here is Part two.)

After reading about the proper way to measure the space for a new refrigerator, I went over and had a look at mine. Sure enough, the upper cabinet was far enough away from the wall for the new fridge to fit, but alas the countertop of the lower cabinet stuck out into that space by one inch. DAMN! That was the nail in the coffin. New refrigerator had to go!

Thank goodness for the internet. I found a smaller fridge that WOULD fit, both in the space where I want it to go and through the front door. It is bigger than my current fridge but smaller than the other one. The fact that it cost $250 less than the other one didn't hurt either. The "new" fridge has an in-door water dispenser and ice maker, which I do not need.  But here's the funniest thing. The SAME refrigerator, without the ice maker was $600 MORE and back-ordered for three weeks. Sigh.

So after shoveling five-eight inches of snow in the driveway and getting myself to work I called the store and made the switch. The new new fridge will be delivered next week, so that's nice.


12 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh geez, I HATE that. We have that door issue to. I get the largest fridge that will fit in my kitchen and have a second one in the back hall off the laundry room. We have always had two refrigerators and would hate to do without the second one.

One decorating update always leads to another!
xx, Carol

Mickey's Musings said...

Good to hear you were able to get all that sorted out :)
Nancy and the kitties

Abby said...

I feel your pain. I went through this same scenario in September. First refrig was too big; 2nd just fit but such a tight fit. Felt sorry for delivery gents who had to lug refrigerators up to kitchen as I live at shore and my house is on 10' pilings. Luckily, my GE french door refrig is a dream.

Mari said...

Ah, I wondered what happened to your post. You will *love* the new fridge. The French doors seem like they'll be odd, but they're awesome. Glad it's all worked out. Now, what will you do with the $250 you saved? :)

Susie Q said...

You are so clever to figure all these things out before frig is sitting at front door,,,,, etc.

The Selvage Fairy said...

I went through something similar with my washer and dryer. Picture me inching it into place by banging up against it with my hip crying, "It'll fit, it'll fit!".

Robby said...

Our fridge also has the built-in ice maker, etc. I told 'em not to hook it up. That part always craps out before the fridge and it's usually some ridiculous amount to fix it. I make my own ice cubes and it works fine for us, although we're a family of two. Here's to getting it all done and happily ever after.

Just Ducky said...

Concats on the new cold box. It is like cars, they come with features you don't really want, but lots of other people do. Enjoy it when you get it.

Kris Quilts said...

We've found that we all drink more water since we got a new fridge with the ice and water in the door. It's so convenient... Give it a try!

rondiquilts said...

How smart you were to go and do all the measuring and measuring again! You are so fortunate that you have your Dad there to help you.

Rondi
rondiquilts@yahoo.com

NeverBored said...

My new refrigerator is very large and there was room (just barely) for it to fit where the old side-by-side refrig came out. But to get it in the house, not only did the handles and the doors on the refrigerator have to come off, but the front door had to be taken off its hinges too and even then, the refrigerator just barely fit through. Seems kind of ridiculous to have a refrigerator that big for just 2 people, but it was the one my husband fell in love with. He died 2 years ago and I'm not even using half the space in this big refrigerator!

Mary Ellen said...

I thought we didn't need a refrigerator with an ice and water dispenser, either. But, guess what? You find yourself using it and it is darn convenient. Unless, of course, you never use ice in your drinks. We do. A lot. We have hardwood floors throughout the house, including in the kitchen, so we did put a small kitchen rug in front of the refrigerator to catch any drips or dropped ice pieces.