Saturday, June 23, 2018

Kill Your Darlings

As I have said many times before, we ALL know when it's WRONG. We generally know when we've hit it out of the park, but the absolute HARDEST THING is that place in between - that place where what's on your worktable or design wall isn't going anywhere. The solution?

Be ruthless.

Kill your darlings.

Break it. Break it bad.

Change partners and dance.


The so-called gold I had been working with the last few days just wasn't going anywhere I wanted it to go. If it had simply been a project of my own, I might have stuck with it, but this quilt is designed to be a "how-to" lesson to make a Diamond quilt, and if I wasn't "feeling the love," I sure as hell couldn't convince anybody else to feel it either.

So I tossed the pieces off the wall and dug through my stash. I can show how to make a Diamond quilt in colors that anybody can reproduce. If I've learned anything from my students it's that if I give them good basics, they will figure out how to push ideas around on their own.



You should click, and then double click the photos to get a good look at the big prints. Some of them I've had almost ten years.

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Lighter, brighter and beautiful.

Wilma said...

I love your blog, the way you write what you mean. Great. Thanks

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous parrot print! Is there a lush floral/tropical/jungle vibe happening? Love those hot orange-blended diamonds.

Tam said...

Like the gold concept. I'm not feeling the purple/green floral or the light blue cabbage. To my eye they aren't combining. Love seeing your process!