Saturday, December 2, 2017

Where the Box Lives

When my brother first proposed doing a swap for one of his boxes, my first thought was, where am I going to put it? Horizontal space is limited at my house.  But I had this table in my bedroom that partly covered a full length mirror I hated. Yes, Julie, that is one of your quilts.

 So the box lives there.

As soon as I saw the box in Colorado this past summer, I knew what I'd put in it.

Jewelry.  What else? I put some of my most favorite pieces in it. I covered the bottom of the box with a silk scarf so the interior wouldn't get scratched.

The top lift out tray has my high school class ring, an engraved silver thimble that belonged to my grandmother, some vintage pins from the 50's and 60's that were my Mom's, a much older vintage pin that belonged to my grandmother, a locket containing my goddaughter Violette's photo, some of my favorite one-of-a-kind pins, and yes, there's a five dollar bill in there too. For some reason I think a jewelry box always has to have some money in it.

My Colorado brother came over for dinner last night with my Mom and had to check it out. Here he is sniffing it to see if he can still smell the scent of the California Nutmeg that makes the box's bottom.

"It's funny," he said, "I've never seen it with anything in it."

5 comments:

Nancy J said...

Perfect, full of your favourites, and now brother has seen it in use, he must be happy too.A wonderful family swap.

deebriese said...

Wonderful swap love the box. What quilt is that under it? Adore that pattern!

Quiltdivajulie said...

It looks wonderful there - and what a perfect way to use it. (the quilt was made with the French Roses pattern)

Kathy in FL said...

Beautiful box! I have the same bunny-with-carrot pin that you have, too.

Ann said...

What a talented family you are. Congratulations on this gorgeous box.