Friday, November 10, 2017

Value


When I studied the Philosophy of Art in college, the professor told us, "If you think artwork A is truly better than artwork B, then you are correct."  Of course it isn't that simple. I know the Colorado quilt is a beautiful quilt. I know it's well made, and well designed, but it's worth... I don't know.



That's why I needed to have the quilt professionally appraised by Gerald Roy, the country's leading quilt expert.

He counted the birds, he measured the size of the barn block. He turned the quilt over and checked out the signature panel on the back.

He loved the quilt, thought the birds were great and the barn was terrific. He thought the quilting was "perfect." Then he gave me the appraisal - much higher than I expected, and the highest of any of my quilts.

OK!

Knowing the quilt's value is nice, but being validated is ever so much better.



9 comments:

Nancy J said...

A Plus?? Validation, the highest of all, well done, you so deserve the top marks of all times.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for sharing these photos -- and YES to the value of validation.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Congrats, when I first saw your quilt I knew it deserved a standing ovation.

Just Ducky said...

Since it is a work of art, can it be insured based upon the appraisal?

stitchinpenny said...

I think the validation of the quilt will be the love your brother and sister-in-law have for it. The evaluation is great and the skill and imagination are amazing. It has immense value monetarily, but to me its real value is the love and thought about your subject that make it valuable. I think those made it your most special quilt to date and enjoyed reading the path from inspiration to this wonderful creation.

Suefosseen said...

It's a beautiful quilt. I hope and in its your brother to share it to the Monarch Quilt Guild this spring.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Gerald Roy? Impressive!

QuiltGranma said...

WOW! Gerald Roy? And such a high appraisal! So many of my extended family do not realize the value I put on my quilts, and treat them like just any blanket they can by at a store!!! I do not have a big output like some folk, and they will likely only get one from me. They should cherish them, not destroy them.

Poppy Q said...

It is a beautiful quilt and such a treasure. He looks a serious guy.