Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The Box


This is the handmade box my brother P is trading me for the Colorado Quilt.


This is the inside. Isn't it lovely? I told you he made it, didn't I?


Here's a detail of the beautiful dovetails in one corner.

I already know where I am going to put it when it arrives. Since the quilt has to be quilted before I send it to Colorado, it will be a while before this makes the trip across the country.

I can be patient.

Update from my brother:
"The box is made with Mahogany, the bottom is California Nutmeg and the lid is Eastern Walnut. All the joinery is cut by hand with a small hand saw and chisel. When possible everything has a hand planed finish. There you have it."

12 comments:

Megan said...

It is absolutely magnificent.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is made from cherry, right? Anything made of cherry is just gorgeous. Wonderful design and technical excellence.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is beautiful!! A great trade of two wonderful pieces of art!

Just Ducky said...

Beautiful. A work of art and true craftmanship.

Janet H-T said...

This box is exquisite. You and your brother are very talented artisans. Wonderful trade!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful in every way!

Pat said...

Lucky both of you to each have such a talented sibling. :-)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It looks like talent runs in the family. This box is magnificent!

Nancy J said...

Oh My!!!! can you get some camphor wood shavings to have inside? That joinery is so beautiful, I would have it on display all the time. Congrats to you both for outstanding talents you share with each other.

Ruth K. said...

The Box is absolutely beautiful! Your quilt is also a work of art!

Ann said...

Two works of art. You are a talented family.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

it is beautiful. My father used to make beautiful things like this. i miss that.