Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Sample Barn

 I like to have a lot of examples for my students when I teach, but some  examples should be in pieces, so students can get a better example of how things go together.

This is a closeup of a barn door and a window. When a barn has two doors, I like to include a thin contrasting strip down the middle to show that. And sometimes I like to indicate a windowsill, thus the gold underneath the windows here.



Some barns have windows in the upper story, and some just have decoration. Here I have cut up a floral print to indicate a kind of star design, and used some contrasting fabric to show it off.  Notice the fabric in this upper story is different than the one used in the bottom half of the barn. 

See the thin red strip along the roofline? That is to indicate this barn has a red roof.


Leaving this sample barn in pieces like this is the best way to tell students to build the body and roof of the barn separately. That way there won't be any sewing into corners or applique to get them to fit together.

This barn also has two different options for the eaves. Notice the left side is different from the right.

I'll be teaching barns at Quilted Threads in Henniker NH today.

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

EXCELLENT teaching samples -- these are worth 1,000 words!!!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I'm always learning something from your posts.....love the alternate eaves....then I noticed the similar detail in the picture window. Thanks!!