Sunday, July 23, 2017

A New Friend

I had all kinds of problems with my sewing machine last week. It was working fine, and then it wasn't. It was taking too many stitches per inch, and it didn't seem to be feeding the material properly through the feed dogs.



I tried everything. I blew the dust out, I checked all the settings, I readjusted the settings, but nothing worked. The tension was a bit off too, and seams that usually sewed straight ended up with a curve that wouldn't lie flat. I knew I'd have to bring the machine to the repairman, but I wanted to finish the Colorado barn.

I finished the barn block, but since I had to teach a class on Saturday, I wouldn't be able to bring the machine in for repair until next Saturday, since the shop isn't open evenings, and doesn't stay open late enough for me to be able to get there after work before they close.

I really didn't want to buy a cheap machine at Sears or JoAnne's, but I couldn't see any other way out. I HAVE to have a sewing machine ready at all times.


When I was talking to Julie about the wonderful birthday present I received from her and her husband, she suggested I talk to Becky, the owner at Quilted Threads. QT is a Bernina dealership, and Julie thought Becky might know someone who had a used machine to sell. I did just that. Turns out QT does resell some used machines. After discussing my needs, she suggested I drop by the Bernina sales area at the lunch break.


Long story short, I came home with a Bernina 1260. It doesn't thread itself, and it hasn't got a thread cutter, but it does have a knee lift, and a whole complement of attachments. It even has the original owner's manual.


After I set it up, wound some bobbins, put in the 1/4" foot, I made a bird (above). This machine sews like a dream, and I can't believe how quiet it is. The tension is perfect.

I think I'm in love. Happy Birthday to me.










13 comments:

Dorothy said...

The Berninas are the best. I have an OLD 830 that I will never give up :-)

Nancy J said...

You have one of the best, Berninas are such a work horse, and the ones I have had are still going so well after 30 years, at which time they were given to another family member.

djquilting said...

I have had this same model for 20 plus years and she is a workhorse; still going strong. I love her and think you will too.

Frog Quilter said...

I have a few Berninas and just love them. Great find.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Totally awesome!!! SO happy for you. (I love both of my Bernina machines)

Pat said...

I've never had a Bernina but I've always heard the oldies are goldies. I've never had much luck with the threading part, but I would really miss my thread cutter. In fact, right after I got my machine, I think I recall proposing to the little man that does the thread cutting.

Happy Birthday and congratulations on your new machine. I seriously can't imagine someone like you without a backup.

Sewgirl said...

I own two Bernina, a big newer model, and my faithful 1260....love it! I know you will love this one too...frankly I'm surprised someone was willing to let this one go. I have a friend here on the left coast that would love to get her hands on one, but the older workhorse machines don't seem as readily available here. Great suggestion from Julie and lucky find!!

Brown Family said...

I agree with every one about the new machine. My hubby works on all of the old mechanical Bernina's and that is one of his favorites!

WAZOO! Quilting said...

I have a 1260 that just won't die. You made a whale of a buy with that machine! Mine is now the back up to the 770QE.

AnnieO said...

What a happy ending! My Husqvarna is getting old at 15 years and a lot of miles. I've been thinking about co=opting my mom's old Bernina from the '80s....

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

So nice! It has a nice big flat bed too.

Momma Lynne said...

I have had a 1260 for 20 years. It has never let me down. I hope you enjoy your "new to you" machine as much as the rest of us who have them do. . . . but we ALL admit that they are not lightweight, you're going to need a wheeled case or cart if you want to take it out to workshops etc.

Unknown said...

I bought myself a new Bernina with all the bells and whistles but I tend to go back to my Bernina 830 as it is so easy and reliable. Actually I have two 830's just in case one is being serviced. I was told the 830 was the last model before they went plastic....... I hate not having my trusty 830 when I need it. I figured I have two daughters and when I go to that big fabric shop in the sky they can have one each... haha