Saturday, December 10, 2016

Purple

This is what came out of the little bin I have marked as "Purple." In fact, the color is really "Violet." Violet (or Purple) is an equal mixture of red and blue. That yields the color in the middle stack in the photo above. To the left is Blue Violet, which has more blue than red, and to the right is Red Violet, which has more red than blue. Because blue is a cool color, Blue Violet is cool, and because Red Violet has more red, Red Violet is a warm color. True Violet straddles the fence and is equally cool or warm, depending on the colors that surround it. 

Red Violet with white makes Pink, by the way. Pink is not light red. If you add white to red you get a color like salmon, which isn't pink.


Last night I worked with the Red Violet stack, and made these scrappy slabs.

(By the way, these blocks use the Tri-Recs Tool Ruler Set).

I threw them up on the design wall next to the blue ones I already had up there.

Yes, I'll be making slab triangles with the blue violet and violet scraps, and I may also add some dark green.  This quilt would be made of the jewel tones of sapphire, ruby and emerald, and maybe some gold. All those dark tones would need something to lighten it up, and it might need a good swift kick in the ass. I'm thinking a tiny bit of acid green, hot pink or orange.

Because, you know me. It ain't gonna be anything you'd expect.

I mean, like, Duh!

7 comments:

abelian said...

I never dare to expect!

Dot

Nancy J said...

I am not expecting anything but totally spectacular !!! Love those purples, in each set of shades.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like what you're doing. The "wings" on those lovely triangles give the units an "other-worldly" look.

Frog Quilter said...

I love watching your progress with made fabric. So pretty!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Looking forward to see what your "kicker" color(s) will be. You and Wanda are both playing with purples which makes me want to dig into mine!

Just Ducky said...

You had mum at "jewel tones". Those are the colors she looks best in. We expect nothing but wonderful in everything you do.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

OMG......I am just DYING to get back into a sewing room.....