Monday, January 4, 2016

A Lady Bird and the Flock

Sometimes I start with an idea for a bird, and then what I think I was going to do changes. In this case, I hadn't originally planned on a green breast, but I rather like it. And the beak wasn't supposed to be quite so big.

Yet it all seems to work out, and for whatever reason, this bird is a woman. I felt she might have been a tall gangly teenage girl who hadn't grown into her body yet. My pal Julie disagreed.  "Looks too poised to be a teen," she wrote. "Young professional just out on her own ... Recent college grad ... business degree in Marketing ... Well traveled ... Polished, but still a bit uncertain ..."

I think the thing I find so entertaining about these birds isn't what they look like, it's that their stories seem to be ones we all know. Viewers look at the birds, and they seem to know already, as if the birds are telling their stories and we are simply writing them down.



It's this connection that is so enchanting, and one I am enjoying very much. The "flock," as I am referring to the group of birds on my design wall, now numbers over twenty-five and they're very much a group of unique individuals.

14 comments:

Sew Quilt Designs said...

I love it. Just love birds on quilts :)

Nancy J said...

I do like the way your birds are laid out, talking to each-other instead of all in a line. Lovely colours in every one.

Mary Ellen said...

These birds are just flying out of the sewing machine. I am enjoying every single one!

Jackie said...

I love how they all look like they are talking and walking together at the same time. They all look different, different colours, different sizes and shapes similar to people at a quilt show.

Judy in Michigan said...

Each morning when I check your blog, I get a big smile on my face. Love the flock and each individual personality.

Sandi said...

Love the look of your flock laid out. It looks like several flocks I've seen on beaches and other venues.

Looking forward to seeing your final layout.

Dorothy L. Wills said...

How many are you planning on making? They look like fun to make. Thanks for sharing.

Dorothy L. Wills said...

How many are you planning on making? They look like fun to make. Thanks for sharing.

Sewgirl said...

I am enjoying all their stories. What a beautiful quilt this is going to make!

Pat said...

Just loving the birds and the stories. I'm also loving the fact that you are so obviously having a good time with it.

Michael said...

What I think is interesting, Lynne, is that by showing us each bird up close, you've caused us to focus on them as individuals with their own stories. If you had only shown us pics of the flock as it grew, I don't think I would have felt the same way about them. So, I like getting to know each individual bird. Then, when I see the flock, I can pick them out and wonder what they're saying to the bird standing next to them, whose story I also now know.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Cherie in St Louis said...

This is a wonderful birding trip your taking us on. I've so enjoyed the stories and the whole flock, well, it's delightful. I'm hearing them all talk at once and it's a real cacophony!!

Bird Removal NJ said...

Why, these are just darling. If any real birds flock to your home, check out bird removal NJ.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Oooh I really like seeing all yor birds together! I definitely want to make more of these! (I made one for my elephant parade quilt).