Thursday, February 19, 2015

Picnic Table in the Snow

My rail fence quilt is finished. I've decided to call it "Picnic Table" since it's got ants and bugs on it.  What outside picnic table is free of those? As for the snow...

Yes, that's freshly fallen snow. We got about four inches last night.


That's on top of the forty or fifty inches we've had already this winter. (sigh)

I used those new "wonder clips."  The big advantage is they don't get caught on everything the way regular pins do.  And they don't stab me when I'm moving the quilt around while sewing the binding down.
The disadvantage is that I have to remove them before the quilt goes through the sewing machine, so I have to hold the binding in place by hand. Not only is that a pain, but the result isn't the even perfection that I like. It isn't bad, and since I only machine sew bindings on quilts that are designed to get a lot of hard use, it's not really a big issue, but the perfectionist in me bristles a bit.

However I think these will be a big help when I am hand sewing the binding down by hand.

For those who asked how I apply my binding, here you go: I cut it 3 inches (7.62cm) wide and join the strips at an angle. I fold it lengthwise, wrong sides together. I line up the raw edges of the binding on the WRONG side of the quilt and sew it down 3/8" away from the edge. Then I fold it over to the FRONT of the quilt and sew it down. This way the folded edge covers the seam nicely and it's easy to sew down. Naturally I miter all the corners and join the ends at an angle so the whole thing lies nice and flat.


10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love how the sunlight shows the quilt's wonderful textures .... Terrific name!

Happy, FUN photos outdoors - hope you didn't get too cold!!!

Vicki W said...

I love your quilt! I stopped using pins or clips or anything on my binding. I realized that I was having to control the couple of inches in front of the needle wit my hand anyway and I wasn't concerned about the rest of it. There's been no downside and it saves some time.

Brenda said...

I'm with Vicki -- no clips. I may use my awl to keep the mitred corner in place when I turn the corner, but otherwise I use my hands.

Sharon said...

Wonderful, fun quilt! And I love how the sunlight shows off that great texture too. Sorry about all the snow, but it is pretty (from here).

Thanks for the tips on your binding. Have you seen how MariQuilts does her bindings? She irons it down to help control it. See this post for an explanaton: http://www.thequiltingedge.com/search/label/Binding
I've tried this and it works! Much easier than clips or pins. And I got a nice, neat binding with very little struggle or stress. Hope you like it!

Megan said...

Terrific pics of the quilt, Lynne.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Jackie said...

Love you Blog. Love your quilts. I also bind using the sewing machine, but only cut strips 2 1/2" and have problems on the front. Never thought of cutting larger strips. Thank you.

sawsan said...

Thanks for sharing your movements
Great quilt , but not understand why bugs and ants? where the name comes from?
http://myeleganthome.blogspot.ae/

Anonymous said...

OMG! Julie told me the check your blog for this post, it looks so cool (COLD) haha !!! you knocked that binding right on out!!!! I haven't checked any posts tending to mom again, 2 more fractures…….so glad you love it!! Photos look amazing, as ALWAYS! Hugs to ya!

Jake said...

If you want to get away from the clips, try GLUE BASTING your binding in place with Washable liquid glue (regular Elmer's glue that kids use). I've been doing this for years (still hand bind everything) and it works awesome. The glue has to be ironed in place to hold, but it holds well. And, when you are done, toss it in the wash and it washes out COMPLETLY,

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful photos of a fun quilt... love the quilting texture of the fans!