Fortunately I had to drive up to Quilted Threads to deliver my Black and White Crayons quilt to hang in the shop as a sample for a Letters class I will teach there on January 31.
I went shopping and bought some fabrics, then threw them all in the washing mashine when I got home. Last night and this morning I put fabric pairs together and cut my strips.
i deliberately planned a strong light/dark contrast between the pairs and I wanted the light/dark pairs to relate to each other somehow. Generally they are the same color - blue with a light blue, orange with a light orange, etc., but sometimes the combination pair was more connected by shape or feel (see the second to the bottom pair in the leftmost column). I also tried to get a contrast in pattern. A rectilinear pattern paired with a more rounded, organic shape, for example, as in the tan fabric at the bottom of the second column.
(the photos will supersize when clicked, then double-clicked.)
My selections were severely hampered by the fact that I couldn't use any fat quarters. For each block I needed four 5" x 20" strips. This also meant a half yard of fabric would only yield one block. Had I thought more about it while I was at QT yesterday I would have bought more fabric, but it's OK. This way each fabric is only represented once.
I totally screwed up when I cut the fabrics for the first blocks. For some reason I cut the strips 5" instead of 5-1/2" as instructed in the book. I had to readjust the size of the individual blocks, but that's no big deal. Adapt, improvise, overcome.
I cannot tell you how happy I am to be back in my own house after being displaced for 2-1/2 days.