Sunday, August 12, 2012

I Washed It

At one of the classes I taught a few weeks ago, I took a good look at my quilt, Letters From Home, and realized it was dirty. There were some dusty greasy stains across the top edge, and some spots along the edges.

Now, this quilt hangs in my house, just outside my kitchen.  It doesn't get any sunlight, but it has been rather active during it's 3 year life. It's been to Tennessee, to Washington State, to Quilt Market in Houston, to Quilted Threads in Henniker NH, to work with me, and anywhere I can show it off, so with all that, it wasn't really a surprise to me that it was a little soiled.  So I washed it.

In my usual cavalier fashion, I just tossed it in the washing machine (cold water, permanent press cycle) with some detergent and a color catcher.  When it came out, I tossed it in the dryer on low, then took it out when it was slightly damp and let it dry flat.  After a week, I hung it back up. It looks lovely, with the quilty wrinkles a lot of quilters like.

I'll bring it with me to Quintessential Quilts 2013 in St Louis next year, and after that I think I might take it down and let it rest.

7 comments:

Julianne said...

Its such a great quilt!

Terri said...

Love it, and it looks wonderful for working so hard.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Just as lovely as ever! It is a STAR!

Sharon said...

I love this quilt, and it looks great! I love that crinkly look after it's washed. Looks like this washed up beautifully!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glad you washed it - fresh and ready to go to St. Louis!

I remember holding this one up (with Chris) in my driveway so we could send you a sneak peek of the newly-quilted work. Even Miss Angel got in on the photo shoot that day.

Incredible quilt!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

as always, love this quilt. woohoo for not having any problems in the wash. I've gotten so paranoid I'm using 2-3 BOXES of color catchers with some of the quilts...

Lynda said...

This quilt looks sooo good!