Sunday, October 9, 2011

Row by Row

 Once I've joined the letters together, I add big chunks to the end of each row, then trim across the top of the row with a l-o-n-g ruler so the edge is straight.  You can get a 48" metal ruler at one of the big box hardware stores for about ten bucks. It's worth every penny.  Hang it up to store it, and take care of it, because once it gets bent it's not worth anything.  Being metal you can run your rotary cutter up against it without any trouble.
When I sew rows together, I always make sure the strip that shows is at least 3/4" wide. Seam allowances of 1/4" will need that much room so they will lie flat and not be bulky. These letters are about 4" tall when finished, so I cut my strips 1-1/2" wide.
I press the seams so the bulky edge lays flat (which means I press AWAY from the letters.) After I press that strip over, I lay the big metal ruler across the top edge and make sure it's STRAIGHT and PARALLEL to the top egde of the word strip.  Often it needs to be trimmed a bit.

Do not ignore this step. It's a basic rule of quiltmaking that the top has to lie FLAT and not have any wavy edges. If you make sure each edge is straight as you assemble the top, you have a much better chance of the quilt being FLAT and SQUARE, and the rows lining up nicely.

I only trim edges as I am ready to sew them, and I start at the top and work my way down to the bottom.

Next up, the finished Red Letter Alphabet flimsy. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

lookin great! oooh, 48" ruler! must get.

Quilter Kathy said...

Okey dokey...I'll try to get the letters corralled and into rows!

sawyouhij said...

Lynne
I did 5 or 6 letters not happy with one of them always get diffrent size i did not know how to make them semy equals to each other any rules !!! no rules ???

sawyouhij said...
This comment has been removed by the author.