Thursday, September 22, 2011

Z is for Zebra

Some people think the "Z" is simply the letter "N" on its side.
 I don't think so. (You aren't really surprised by that, are you?) It's close, but I think the difference is a bit more subtle than that.
This orange "Z" is from my Letters From Home quilt.

The angled bar of the "Z" meets the horizontal bars at 30 degrees. So you can use an ordinary 30-60-90 degree triangle to place the horizontal bars properly.
Or any other 30-degree triangle. (you can click the photos to enlarge)
To me the big difference is the slanted bar of the "Z" is completely contained within the width of the letter. When I trim the "Z" (as you can see in the photo above), I allow the extra 1/4" for the seam allowance. Those corners can't be cut off, or made narrower or I think the "Z" looks lame.

These are the first free-pieced letters I ever made.  They're ok, but at that time, I didn't think I'd do too much with them. I disliked the Y's and thoroughly hated the Z's. I show them to you because it doesn't matter what your first letters look like. If you're willing to continue to experiment and learn, you can do some pretty cool stuff.

4 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

What great fun this quilt along has been! I really loved looking at your letters, and reading your posts, and thinking about how to sew each letter.
I hope to finish up my letters today and look forward to some help with what to do with the letters next?!?!

Terri said...

Pretty cool is right! Love your series! Thanks for the extensive tut!
Hugs

Jean said...

Love your zzzzzs.

Susanne (flicKwerk) said...

I've had some days off and now catching up the feeds in my reader. Thanks for the tutorials and the widget is really usefull.