Thursday, September 8, 2011

S is for Summer



Finally, the Red Letter-Along is back!  Anybody can join at ANY time.  Shoot me an email and I'll add a link to your blog on the sidebar! Today is one of my favorite letters, "S".

I love the letter "S". I have a lot of fun with it.
 You can add a little space just to the top bar of the "S" as in the black and white "S".
 
This red "S" is my sample letter for Tonya's Slither.  This letter is 2-1/2" tall and about 9" wide.
You can tilt the components a bit too.  I like the way this "S" from Letters From Home reminds me of a swan.

I really like the components of my "S"s really skinny and really fat.

In these two "S"s from The Black Cat's Rules, I used different fabrics in each component. In the purple "S" you can see I started from a batik fabric at the top, and gradually used prints of different scales, getting larger until I used the very large print on the bottom piece. Even that was fussy cut in a particular way to give me the effect I wanted.

 In these two letters, I turned one letter upside down, because I liked the way the negative spaces worked, and didn't want them to line up perfectly from one letter to another.  There's no rule that says the fat part HAS to be on the bottom!
 Tonya's got a very nifty way of assembling the top two components of the letter "S".  You should get her book to see how she does it. Click Here for more information about Word Play Quilts.


You can move the top two components closer together or farther apart, to determine the width of the letter "S".
Sew the three components together, and you've got an "S".

5 comments:

Clare said...

I love S's. You're right. You can have a lot of fun with them.

I recently did a W à la yours. It took me a long time, a lot of swearing, a good lot of fabric ended up in the bin, but I got there in the end. Hop over and take a look. I'm really pleased with it.

Quilter Kathy said...

I really like how you work with your fabrics to make each letter special. Can't wait to play!

Manda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manda said...

I have a love/hate relationship with the letter S. Mine look like 5s instead. I'm going to try adding that space to see if our relationship improves.

Ss in Issac in Word Play Bee

Manda said...

T's are my favorite. Especially "tt":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54631932@N03/6104585991/in/photostream


http://www.flickr.com/photos/54631932@N03/5816651138/in/pool-1692112@N22/